The Joomla 1.5 Component is depreciated and will not be receiving further updates. It is recommended to use the Joomla 2.5 Component instead.
- i. Changelog
- ii. Module Requirements
- iii. What does it do?
- iv. Installation
- v. Basic Configuration
- vi. Activating Scheduling
- vii. Displaying Articles
v0.6 – August 2012
- Re-built with cron, error checking, and more.
- Joomla 1.5
- MySQL database
- PHP 5
This component takes articles from Brafton XML feeds and imports them into your Joomla! CMS. The package contains a Joomla component and a plugin. The component is the article importer itself (aka the “Brafton Article Importer”), while the plugin is used for running the component on a regular schedule (aka the “Brafton pseudo-cron Plugin”).
Please use the following steps in order to successfully install the Brafton Article Importer and Brafton pseudo-cron Plugin.
- Login to your Joomla! administrator account.
- From the ‘Extensions’ drop down menu, choose Install/Uninstall.
- Choose to upload a file from ‘Upload Package File’.
- Navigate to where you downloaded the .zip file of the component and select it.
- Click ‘Upload File & Install’.
Uploading the zip file
If you see an ‘Install Component Success’ message, congratulations! You have installed the Brafton Article Importer and the Brafton pseudo-cron Plugin for Joomla!
From this screen, you can adjust settings such as your API key and which author you would like the imported articles to be displayed as.
- Hover over your ‘Components’. You should see a new option there named ‘Brafton Article Importer’.
- Click on it to access the importer settings.
Brafton Article Importer settings screen
- Enter the API key you were given into the API Key field
- Change the author to your choosing. Please note that authors must be Joomla users.
- Click ‘Submit’.
In order to import articles, you must activate the scheduler (aka the “pseudo-cron plugin”).
- In the ‘Extensions’ dropdown, click on ‘Plugin Manager’.
- Navigate to the ‘System – Brafton pseudo-cron Plugin’ and click on it.
- This brings you to the plugin settings. Enable the plugin by setting the ‘Enabled’ option to ‘Yes’.
- On the right, set the interval you would like the scheduler to run at in minutes. The default is 180 minutes (3 hours), which we recommend.
- Please note: Setting this parameter below an hour may greatly increase the strain on your site. It is highly recommended to stick with the default value of 3 hours/180 minutes.
- Click Save in the top right to save your settings.
There are several options available for displaying articles. You may use a ‘Section Blog Layout’ and display the ‘News’ section, or you may use the default view provided by the component (covered below).
- From the ‘Menus’ dropdown, select the menu you wish to add the new view to (in this example, we will be using the ‘Main Menu’).
- From your menu, create a new menu item.
- When selecting a ‘Menu Item Type’, choose ‘Brafton Article Importer’, and then choose ‘Default Layout’.
Brafton Article Importer Default Layout
- Give your menu a ‘Title’ and ‘Alias’, and customize any settings that you may need for your site.
- Click ‘Save’.
- Check your new menu item. Your articles should be displayed!