Although, technically, the dog days of summer end August 11, we just can’t seem to escape the heat! This month’s edition of Hashtag Social Media is all about the intersection of man’s best friend (cats, too!) and all things social.
In this month’s edition, we:
- Dive into some fun facts on the impact pets can have on marketing strategies…
- Explore how TikTok is taking over search, and…
- Funny tweets from brands in the pet industry!
- 68% of U.S. households, or 84.6 million homes, own a pet.
- Dogs and cats are the most popular pets, with 48% of U.S. households (60 million homes) owning at least a dog and 37% of U.S. households (47 million homes) owning at least a cat.
- Pet adoption rates have climbed significantly, with about one in five households having acquired a dog or cat since the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic.
In an article from RetailWire, Tom Ryan expounds, “Dogs were found to increase an ad’s persuasiveness for products or services perceived as promotion-focused (e.g., stock investments, sports cars), while cats appealed better for those deemed more prevention-focused (e.g., mutual fund investment, insurance).”
Diving deeper into pets and social media, here are the three most popular dog and cat breeds on Instagram! – Source
Tiktok is here to stay — and it’s taking over search. In an article for Mashable, Elena Cavendar writes…
“Increasingly, young people are using social media platforms like TikTok and Instagram to search for things to do and places to try, even seeking out news and important information, rather than consulting traditional discovery tools like Google Search and Google Maps.”
According to TechCrunch, Google’s Prabhakar Raghavan, a senior vice president in charge of Google Search, said, “In our studies, something like almost 40 percent of young people, when they’re looking for a place for lunch, they don’t go to Google Maps or Search. They go to TikTok or Instagram.” He’s referring to a survey of U.S. users, ages 18 to 24.
I’ve found myself using TikTok for recipes and life-hacks, as well as new restaurant and bar recommendations here in Nashville—what have you been using TikTok for?
Remember this viral GoPro video from 2015? We haven’t forgotten it!
Catch up on the latest Brafton articles:
- Facebook Top Fan Badge: How to Give, How to Get (Infographic)
- What Is a Social Media Strategist, and What Role Do They Play in Your Marketing?
- 12 Benefits of Social Media, and All the Ways It Can Impact Your Business for Good (Infographic)
Let’s make it official! Follow Brafton on social: